About St. Mary's Church
Vicar: Rev Nicholas Cale,
The Vicarage Barn Street Haverfordwest SA61 1TD 01437 762303
Curate: Rev Alun Evans, St Thomas House
Scarrowscant Lane Haverfordwest SA61 1EP 01437 762303
St Mary's Wardens
Gaynor Price 01437 760666
Pat Barker 01437 766107
The history of this magnificent Grade One listed Church is closely linked with the history
of the town of Haverfordwest and the county of Pembroke. There are just three Grade One places in the town, the remains of the Castle, the remains of the Priory, and St Mary's Church. It is
* the Pevsner Architectural Guide, The Buildings
of Wales series, Pembrokeshire, published in 2004 by Yale University Press.
* Wales's Best One Hundred Churches by TJ Hughes, published in 2006 by Seren Books.
*WALES, Churches, Houses and Castles by Simon Jenkins, published in 2008 by Allen Lane.
Bells Clock Organ Windows History Pulpit
It is a fine example of the Decorated style of architecture but its foundations
are much older and the remains of a Norman church are incorporated in the massively
thick south wall. The north aisle was added during the c13.
The arches between the nave and the north aisle are fine examples of Early English
stonework. Entry to the church is
through the north porch which, with the tower and the south porch, was also added
during the c13. Most of the windows in the church are Perpendicular
although the glass is modern.
The oldest church brass in the county, an epitaph to John Davids, Mayor of Haverfordwest
in 1642, and his wife Sage, can be seen on the south wall of the chancel. The
inscriptions on the many marble tablets make interesting reading for visitors
with time to inspect them. The fine oak panelled roof dates from the c16 and the Tudor rose is frequently seen in the carving. Its corbels are
representations of men's heads on the south side and women's heads on the north
side. The church has the oldest church registers in Pembrokeshire dating
from 1590. These are deposited in the County Records Office in Haverfordwest.
The organ is the largest in the county except for that in St David's Cathedral.
We hope you will visit this special church and enjoy its peace and tranquillity
for a while. We would be pleased if you would help us with a donation towards
the continuing work of maintaining it.